US Passport

Social Security renewal, etc.

Once you have attended the ceremony and taken the Oath of Allegiance, you may apply for a US passport.
Please keep in mind that you need to update your Social Security record as soon as possible  and may register to vote.

Apply for a US Passport

Your Certificate of Naturalization, which will be given to you after the ceremony, is a general proof of your newly obtained citizenship. As a first-time applicant for a US passport, you will need to apply in person, and you cannot apply by mail or online. Regardless of your age, you must apply in person at designated locations or accompany your children for submission. Typically, most USPS offices process passport applications, and you can schedule an appointment online at the nearest office.

Required Documents

  • Application forms DS-11 (unsigned)
  • Proof of identity and a photocopy of the front and back of such a document (driver’s license, state ID card, current (valid) foreign passport)
  • Proof of US citizenship and a photocopy of the front and back of such a document
  • You must bring one photograph 2x2 inches or have it taken at the USPS office at the time of submission of your DS-11 application.
  • Passport fees. As of 2020, adult applicants will pay a fee of $110 for a standard passport book plus an execution fee of $35. Passport cards and applicants under age 16 have different pricing, which can be determined using an online calculator.
  • If you are applying for a child, you need to bring a birth certificate, a custody decree and/or adoption decree, etc.

Also, you may apply for a US passport card, which simplifies travel to and from countries bordering the US, such as Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel, as it is designed for international travel by sea or land only.
If you require expedited processing or need to get your passport in a matter of days pursuant to the Life-or-Death Emergency Service  or the Urgent Travel Service, you may apply at the Boston Passport Agency.The reason for emergency travel must be well documented, and you will be required to pay an expedited-service fee. You can make an appointment by calling 1-877-487-2778.

Processing Times

Generally, the DS-11 processing time is 4 to 6 weeks. For applicants with the Life-or-Death Emergency Service or the Urgent Travel Service,  processing time is reduced to 24-72 hours. The passport will be shipped by USPS mail or, in case of emergency, can be picked up in person at the Boston Passport Agency.

Please note that as  a first-time applicant for a US passport, you MUST APPLY in PERSON and cannot delegate the submission of this application to anyone – a courier, an attorney, or a private passport or travel agency. When the time comes for a passport renewal, you  will be able to engage a service entity that will process your passport application for a designated service fee.

For more information, please sign up for a consultation with our accredited immigration specialist.

Non-US-citizen military personnel are eligible for expedited citizenship in the United States. A special provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)..
Thank you for visiting – the easiest and fastest route to obtaining US citizenship or getting familiar with the legal framework governing US immigration.
Contact us
One of the most powerful passports in the world. Travel visa-free to 185 countries. This text is quoted from – a complete and free guide to US Citizenship.