Reunion with other relatives

- parents, grown children or siblings. Eligibility by Category

Besides spouses and children under 18, all direct relatives may reunite with their parents, grown children, and siblings.

A US citizen may include any of these relative in an application for family reunion. These relatives will be eligible to come to the US according to their priority category as Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs) and apply for US citizenship five years later under the Continuous Residence category.

Below, you will find some brief facts and numbers pertaining to the topic of Naturalization through Family Reunion


Family First Preference (F1): This subcategory of the family-based green card is for unmarried sons and daughters of US citizens and their children under 21


Family Third Preference (F3). This is for married sons and daughters (of any age) of US citizens, and their children under 21. It means that they will be placed fairly low on the USCIS priority list and are likely to wait many years before becoming eligible to immigrate to the United States


If you are a US citizen 21 or older, you can bring your parents to the United States: they are considered your immediate relatives and can apply to immigrate to the United States right away.


You must wait from 6 months to 1 year or even longer if you, as a US citizen, have initiated an application for family reunion I-130. It could be much longer depending on individual circumstances and busyness of immigration authorities.


You must wait from 6 months to 1 year or even longer until a US consulate will process the case upon approval of your petition for reunification with your immediate relatives by immigration authorities.


Family Fourth Preference (F4): This subcategory is for brothers and sisters of US citizens, as well as their children under 21 and spouses, provided the US citizen sponsor is at least 21 years old.

It means that they will be placed low on the USCIS priority list and are likely to wait several years before becoming eligible to immigrate to the United States. In most cases it takes up to 5-10 years or longer. 


If you are a US citizen who wants to bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married, you will first of all need to file a Petition For Alien Fiancé(e) in order to obtain a nonimmigrant visa for your fiancé(e).


After your fiancé(e) is admitted to the United States and marries you within 90 days of his or her arrival in the US, he or she may apply for LPR status in the United States (a green card). About 3 years later your spouse may apply for naturalization as described above (C-5a.)

Notice: US permanent residents may also reunite with their direct relatives, but the processing of their petitions is governed by a different protocol. They are classified under Family Second Preference (F2): This is for children under 21, spouses, and unmarried sons and daughters (who are 21 years old and above) of lawful permanent residents. All detailed information and necessary assistance can be provided by our immigration specialists.

Are you eligible for US naturalization? Sign up for a free test! In 3 minutes you will find out your eligibility. 

Also, you can sign up for a free personal consultation with our immigration specialist accredited by US Immigration and Citizenship Services .

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA) states that foreign-born children who meet certain conditions automatically acquire US citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
US Citizenship may be granted automatically to the children of US citizens coming from abroad, no matter where the birth or adoption took place.
The spouse of a US citizen who resides in the United States may be eligible to file an Application for Naturalization on the basis of his or her marriage.
Quick Quiz
check if you can get US Citizenship now?
You may apply on or after

The date displayed above shows estimated date when you can initiate your process of US naturalization. What is NEXT step?

We suggest you continue Eligibility Questionnaire, so we can provide you with specific details about your petition and guide you through the entire process US Citizenship.

If you not sure how to submit you may schedule consultation with our representative ( by phone, messenger, video conference or in person).

The advisory and guidance is free of charge.