US Citizenship through Reunion with Children

Eligibility by Category

US Citizenship may be granted automatically to the children of US citizens coming from abroad, no matter where the birth or adoption took place.


- a child who is born to US citizen parents (or, in some cases, to only one US citizen parent) outside the US may automatically become a US citizen


- a child who was adopted internationally by US citizen parents (or, in some cases, to only one US citizen parent) may automatically become a US citizen.


- a child born outside of the United States through Assisted Reproductive Technology to a US citizen gestational mother who is not also the genetic mother

Renouncement suspension

- a child aged 18 or older may suspend a renouncement of US citizenship initiated by the parents

Below, you will find some brief facts about children of US citizens:


A US citizen may file a petition on behalf of his or her children under 18 years of age. The US citizenship will be granted automatically. In general, these laws require that at least one parent is a US citizen and that the US citizen parent has lived in the United States for a certain period of time.


The child of a US citizen who is under 18, does not need through the naturalization process and will be issued a Certificate of US Citizenship automatically. In some cases, the submission of an Application for a Certificate of Citizenship may be required: Instead of filing a Form N 400, a Form N 600 may be filed.


Once US citizenship is granted to the child, a US passport can be obtained even without a Certificate of Citizenship at the age of 18 or older.


A child under 14 years of age is not required to take the Oath of Allegiance.

Notice: The child must be unmarried! Some countries allow marriage under 18 with parental or judicial consent.

Are you eligible for US naturalization? Sign up for a free test! In 3 minutes you will find out your eligibility. 

Also, you can sign up for a free personal consultation with our immigration specialist accredited by US Immigration and Citizenship Services .

Quick Quiz
check if you can get US Citizenship now?
You may apply on or after

The date displayed above shows estimated date when you can initiate your process of US naturalization. What is NEXT step?

We suggest you continue Eligibility Questionnaire, so we can provide you with specific details about your petition and guide you through the entire process US Citizenship.

If you not sure how to submit you may schedule consultation with our representative ( by phone, messenger, video conference or in person).

The advisory and guidance is free of charge.