Filing and Interview

5.    Passport and Other Questions

The requirements for having your US passport name changed depend on whether and how long you have had the passport.

  • If you already have a US passport, you can find the information about how to change your name here.
  • If you do not have a US passport and you are applying for the first time, you will need:

- Application form for a new passport, which you can fill out online or download and then present the form in person;
- Evidence of your name change (naturalization certificate);
- Passport fee.

  • If you have had your US passport for less than one year, you will need:

- Application for a passport name change;
- Your current valid passport;
- Evidence of a name change (naturalization certificate);
- Passport fee

  • If you have had your US passport for more than one year, you will need an application form for passport renewal.
  • For foreign passports, please contact the appropriate consulate for more information.

How can I change my name on my US passport?

You will need to complete Form DS-19, Passport Amendment/Validation Application, and submit it along with the following:

  • Certified documentation of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree with your new name);
  • Your current, valid passport.

How do I replace a lost, stolen, or destroyed naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship?

To apply for a replacement of your naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship issued by us or by the USCIS, file Form N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization Citizenship Document. The N-565 application is available on our website.

It may take a while – about one year or even longer.

I was born overseas. I believe I was a US citizen at birth, because one or both of my parents were US citizens when I was born. But my birth and citizenship were not registered with the US embassy when I was born. Can I apply to have my citizenship recognized?

Yes, but please note: whether or not someone born outside the US to a US citizen parent is a US citizen, depends on the law in effect when the person was born. These laws have changed over the years but usually require a combination of the parent being a US citizen when the child was born, and having lived in the US or its possessions for a period of time. The table on the next page gives some examples of recent requirements. Derivative citizenship can be quite complex and may require a careful legal analysis.

Additional answers can be found in other sections of our FAQ listed below:

  • Application Timeline
  • English and Civics
  • Gender Marker Change
  • Travel
  • Passport and Other Questions
  • Selective Service


If you did not find the answer you were looking for, you can sign up for a free personal consultation with our immigration specialist accredited by the US Immigration and Citizenship Services.

Also, please check if you are you eligible for US naturalization Sign up for a free test! In three minutes you will find out your eligibility.

Please click "next" to read FAQ: 6. Selective Service