Filing and Interview

3.    Gender Marker Change

Can I change my gender marker during the N-400 naturalization process?

Yes. You can request that your gender marker be changed by presenting one of the following forms of evidence:

  • A court order granting change of sex or gender
  • A government-issued document reflecting the requested gender designation, such as:

- Amended birth certificate;
- Passport;
- Driver’s license;
- Other official document showing identity issued by the US government, a state or local government agency, or a foreign government.

  • A letter from a licensed health care professional certifying that the requested gender designation is consistent with your gender identity. A licensed health care professional includes licensed counselors, nurse practitioners, physicians, physician assistants, psychologists, social workers, and therapists. This letter must include the following information:

- Health care professional’s full name, address, and telephone number;
- Health care professional’s license number and the issuing state, country, or other jurisdiction of the professional license;
- Language stating that the health care professional has treated or evaluated the individual in relation to the individual’s gender identity; and
- Health care professional’s assessment of the individual’s gender identity.

Can I change my name during the N-400 naturalization process?

Yes. You can request that your legal name be changed on your N-400 application. If your application is approved, your name will be changed during your oath ceremony.

Can I change my name while I am applying with an N-600 application for deriving citizenship through a US parent?

No. Name changes cannot be done as a part of the N-600 application. Instead, N-600 applicants must change their name separately through a court.

When will my name change?

If you are approved for citizenship, you will attend a ceremony where you take an Oath of Allegiance to the United States. During this oath ceremony, the judge decides whether to approve the new name you chose. If approved, your new name will be printed on your naturalization certificate. Since your name will not change until your oath ceremony, all of the notices you receive from the USCIS until your ceremony will be in your current legal name.

Are there any names that I cannot choose?

Yes. Although the judge will probably accept any name that you choose, there are some exceptions. You cannot choose a name for an illegal reason, like to avoid debt or avoid being arrested. You should not choose a name that is intentionally confusing, like “Officer,” or “Doctor,” or a name that is offensive. You also should not choose a name that belongs to a famous person like “President Barack Obama,” and you should not choose a name that belongs to a well-known company, like “Boston Baked Beans.”

Do I need to change my name on my other documents?

Yes. You can use your naturalization certificate to change other legal documents you may have, such as your Social Security card, driver’s license, or credit cards. You must go through a separate process to make each of these changes.

How do I change my name on my other documents?

Below are some guidelines to help you change your name on your other legal documents. You should always speak with the agency directly to verify any specific procedures to follow or documentation to submit.

Social Security Card

  • You will need proof of your identity and proof of your US citizenship.
  • Proof of identity: driver’s license, state-issued ID card, or passport.
  • Proof of citizenship: Naturalization certificate or US passport.
  • You will fill out an application for a Social Security card.
  • You must deliver or mail these documents to your local Social Security office.
  • Your new Social Security card with your new name will be mailed to you as soon as all the documents have been verified.


Driver’s License

  • You must change your name on your license in person at a Massachusetts RMV office.
  • The RMV requires that you change your name with the Social Security Administration before you apply to change your name on your driver’s license.
  • You must fill out a name / address change request form. (https://www.mass.gov/doc/nameaddress-change-request-form/download)
  • You will have your picture taken and will need to provide your signature for your new license. There is a fee of $25.00.

Additional answers can be found in other sections of our FAQ listed below:

  • Application Timeline
  • English and Civics
  • Gender Marker Change
  • Travel
  • Passport and Other Questions
  • Selective Service


If you did not find the answer you were looking for, you can sign up for a free personal consultation with our immigration specialist accredited by the US Immigration and Citizenship Services.

Also, please check if you are you eligible for US naturalization Sign up for a free test! In three minutes you will find out your eligibility.

Please click "next" to read FAQ: 4. Travel